Tuesday, July 3, 2007

But It's Only a Block Away...

People always claim Boston to be one of the most walkable cities in the country. However, it recently came to my attention, that Boston is walkable for a select few: tourists and those lucky enough to live in the Back Bay, South End, North End or atop Beacon Hill. The rest of the city DRIVES everywhere.

My partner and I are recent transplants from New York, and we walk everywhere. Literally. We love to walk. It not only saves on gas, but also keeps the legs lean, and the heart healthy. It also allows us to take in our new neighborhood, and other neighborhoods we travel (on foot) through. It's the beauty of city living, the world at your doorstep, or at the very least a block or two away.

So it came as a complete shock when I asked my upstairs neighbor about the local Mexican place down the street, which he didn't know existed. Nor did he know a package store was next to the taco joint. Nor had he ever been to the gorgeous waterfront park a mere 5 minute WALK away. He said, "I'm not a New Yorker. I drive." Which was confirmed when he and his roommate said they drove two blocks to eat the night earlier. TWO BLOCKS. This little tidbit of information pissed me off. And here's why.

If you want to drive everywhere...LIVE IN THE FUCKING SUBURBS. Why choose to live in relatively cramped quarters, with horrendous auto traffic, in what should be a walkable, sustainable environment, where individuals add less greenhouse gasses per capita than their suburban counterparts, when all you're going to do is friggin drive everywhere? It makes no sense to me. And the pride in which he stated his love for all things auto just rubbed me a very wrong way. Who is this self important ass?

As an urban planner, this attitude and entitled bullshit, makes me want to throw in the towel. What can I possibly accomplish if this is my upstairs neighbor?

4 comments:

Steve Laniel said...

I'd live here a while before you declare that everyone drives. I live in Cambridge and walk everywhere. So does most everyone I know.

ANI said...

err...it's all a difference of opinion. The driving depends on *what* one considers *Boston*, and in what type of environment one grew up in. I live in the Fens and walk everywhere. But I grew up in a walking city, and the concept of walking has been with me since birth. A friend of mine from JP (technically Boston) doesn't even really know how to get on the T, and she spent her entire life here, but structured in such a way that driving is imperative. Another friend who grew up in strictly suburban environments drives everywhere as well, even when it's not necessary, simply because it doesn't occur to her to walk, or it's not convenient enough.

and stevelaniel - have you EVER been around the Fens before a Red Sox Game? If not, I invite you to come over and see for yourself how EVERYBODY drives.

Unknown said...

I'm always surprised at how many people in the Boston area complain about traffic and parking, and only later do I find out that they're driving places they could easily get to by walking, bicycling, or taking the T.

Thankfully, while there are many people who drive a lot, there are also a good number of people who appreciate how easy it is to NOT drive should one choose not to. I live in Allston, and travel almost exclusively by bicycling or walking. I occasionally take the T, and as a last resort drive if none of the other options are viable.

Don't be discouraged just yet. There are plenty of like-minded people out there. The challenge is spreading the word that people don't need to be as nearly as car-dependent as they may think.

Unknown said...

ani -

I've spent enough time elbow-to-elbow (cattle style) in the Kenmore T stop after Sox games to know that not EVERYONE drives to Sox games. In fact, if the Green Line ran more efficiently I'd guess even more people would take the T. There's usually a long line of people walking to the Mass Ave. Orange Line stop rather than taking the Green Line.