Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Where the Streets Have No Name

What is up with Boston and its undeniable lack of street signage. This is absolutely ridiculous in a city where street directions make absolutely no sense whatsoever. There's no easy-to-navigate grid system like in NYC or Philly or Chicago. Instead there's winding, suddenly one-way streets, veering off into never never land, or nowhere nowhere land. Signage is key in such environoments, and not just on tourist-friendly routes intended to show off the historical wonders that await around the corner. There are real residents, Citizens of Boston, that need assistance getting around...even those who've lived here their whole lives. Case in point: I was just in the South End, and a guy asked me, "Where's Tremont Street. I should know, I've lived here my whole life." I told him, "I think you're on it." He was. I was. However, it was confusing. (Note: We were on Tremont Street where it kind of does that S turn.) But I digress. At many an intersection, there's not a street sign in site to let you know where you are. It's a driver (and often pedestrian) mind fuck. And this is coming from someone with an incredible sense of direction. I do. Really. I'm not kidding. Ask anybody. So Boston, get it together. You're a lovely city, make sure people can find your hidden treasures, and still find their way back from some off-the-beaten path route. Get those street signs up, in plain sight, for all drivers to see, not to mention those myriad pedestrians roaming the streets who decide to veer off the Freedom Trail.

No comments: