Friday, August 17, 2007

One of Boston's "Finest" Not So Fine

Isn't it nice to walk into your local Dunkin' Donuts and see an orgainized, peaceful line of locals awaiting their morning brew? It is. You know what's not nice? When your friendly neighborhood Boston police officer, who should be understanding and show common curtousy, calls the staff working at your friendly neighborhood Dunkin' Donuts "idiots". I think there was an f-word before the "idiots" part too, but I can't recall. I may have imagined it, but somehow, I think not.

That's right, this morning, as I awaited my bagel and coffee, one of Boston's finest spewed hateful words at the woman behind the counter who was making his egg and cheese bagel. And to top it off, his reasoning was completely off-base. He placed his order just after I placed mine. Therefore, my bacon, egg and cheese bagel (my food choices are questionable at times), was cooking, or should I see nuking, in the micro. He falsely assumed that this was his own order, and told the woman to throw it out, because the sausage had touched the egg, and he doesn't eat sausage or any kind of pork. And I would agree with him, if I didn't eat pork, I'd tell them to throw it out too, after explaining it to them nicely. BUT IT WASN'T EVEN HIS ORDER. And when she tried to explain (and yes, her English, wasn't great, but totally understandable) that it didn't touch the pork (it didn't, i could see it), and second, that the pork in the micro wasn't his (he wasn't listening at this point), he called for the manager And then when the manager type explained to him that an egg and cheese wouldn't have had any sausage touching it (this is pre-packaged Dunkin Donuts...there's nothing fresh), he disagreed, and spewed "Never mind. You don't understand. You're all idiots." (maybe "f-ing idiots".)

Isn't it wonderful to know that those in charge of keeping the peace, be it from gun-weilding psychopaths, troubled teens, or tightly-wound yuppies, are themselves creating a world of hostility and discrimination? Doesn't it just encourage a love for authority? I mean, come on.

Needless to say, this kind of behavior doesn't play into my hopes of creating better, inclusive cities, block by block.

1 comment:

Fornya said...

I thought cops were "gun-weilding psychopaths (aka troubled teens)."