Tuesday, August 14, 2007

SoWa(t) if it Sounds Like A New York Neighborhood

I took my first stroll South of Washington (SoWa) in the South End today. I am always skeptical of neighborhoods playing the very New York neighborhood name game (SoHo, TriBeCa, DUMBO), however, I must admit, I was totally charmed, especially on Harrison. Harrison, with its new and old structures side-by-side, has an appealing pedestrian feel. I liked the restaurants, and soon-to-open restaurants, side by side with galleries, groceries (I think there was one), a gym, apartment complexes, and not-yet adapted industrial spaces. I truly felt happy, content even. It's the type of urban environment that truly appeals to me. A combination of organic and planned neighborhood revitalization with more pedestrians than autos. There is even an orgainized First Friday's art walk. (I love art walks...and the wine that goes with it. I will check this out in September.) And although this area has a very New York sounding moniker, it has a feeling that is definitely Boston. Narrow streets, with smaller streets leading in various directions, with no clear way to know which way was north, south, west or east. But I didn't care. I was content. Happy. And in a transforming urban environment. So, SoWat if the name isn't original, for the first time since my move to Boston, I felt this could very well be the city for me. (Now I just need to find a way to afford the South End in a year's time. Hmmmm...)

Anyway, in the coming weeks, I plan to visit this area a lot, and discuss what I feel works, and why. If anyone has any suggestions of places to go and check out, let me know. Those comments pages are pretty empty. I especially plan to visit the restaurants and galleries. And perhaps work out at the gym. I dropped in today, and it was full of windows. I'm a former New Yorker, so this is unusual to me. Loved it! Loved SoWa!!!

No comments: