Friday, August 17, 2007

Read All About It: SoWa in the News

I know SoWa is new-to-me, and not-so-new to many of you, but I'm hooked. Last night, after a few cocktails and dinner at Delux, I took a stroll through the South End with the sig oth and an old friend, and once again, I was drawn south of Washington. This neighborhood has a great feel. The wide avenue of Washington, with its new developments and numerous restaurants and shops, feels as though it should overtake Tremont as the main drag dividing South End proper with the newishly named SoWa. And if the Silver Line ever connects to the underground SilverLine to the Seaport District and Southie, a continuous link will exist between two of Boston's most up-and-coming, pedestrian friendly neighborhoods. I can dream, right.

Anyway, due to my newfound intersest om all things SoWa, I keep looking for info about the neighborhood, and I came across this in today's Boston Herald. It appears I'll have more dining options after leavingt the gym, both grab and go and brasserie sit-down, in the next few weeks. Now I just need to make more money so I can grab the grub.

Check it out here.

I know the restaurants mentioned won't appeal to the masses, and will require some big bucks to dine, but unfortunately that's where this neighborhood is already headed. However, the additional night-time activity will bring a more friendly pedestrian vibe after the sun goes down. And that is always a good thing for neighborhoods on the edge of established (safety) comfort zones.

And although these places excite me, I do hope the neighborhood (and the BRA) start to REQUIRE a few more affordable units in future projects. You know, just to round things out. There are a lot of vacant parking lots in the area ripe for redevelopment. So, for every luxury loft and condo, try and consider the little people, and by that I mean the dwindling middle class (teachers, police officers, social workers, URBAN PLANNERS). Many of us help to bring inner city neighborhoods to life, along with the old-timers who never left during the "bad" years. Don't send us off packing to the burbs. And restauranteurs, offer some affordable eats. Sure, we like a nice meal every now and again at the fancy schmance places, but our wallets and purses need some assistance.

No comments: